Sunday 31 July 2016

Professor M.S.Rao’s 3 Filter Test


“Lost wealth may be replaced by industry, lost knowledge by study, lost health by temperance or medicine, but lost time is gone forever.” ― Samuel Smiles


One day when I was writing a chapter for my tentatively titled book, “Spark: 21 Success Principles to Unleash the Leader in You” my elder son, Ganesh Sai asked me to visit his office for ‘annual day’ event along with my wife. He was working in private company after completion of his graduation to gain experience. I stopped writing the chapter, thought for a moment and asked my son the following 3 questions:
  1. How much time do I have to spend for the event?
  2. How much money do I have to spend for the event?
  3. Are there any takeaways from the event?

My elder son replied to my first question that I must spend a day for the event. For the second question, he replied that we must spend 100 US dollars for the event.  
For the third question, he replied that there will not be any takeaways from the event.

Then I replied to him as follows: You know very well that I have important international assignments lined up to the year 2020. If I spend a day for such an event, I waste a day of my life, and there will be delay in my deadlines and commitments. Secondly, it is not advisable to spend 100 US dollars for the event. Thirdly, I don’t learn anything and gain anything from the event. As a result, I won’t be able to share anything with others. Then why should I attend the event?

My son was surprised with my response. I shared with him that whenever he undertakes any assignment; he must calculate risk factor, time factor, and the value-addition involved in it to lead a meaningful life.  I further advised him that if the risk is lesser and return is higher, he can invest his precious time, money and energy to undertake the assignments.

The message from this story is that time is more than money. If you waste a second, you wasted one second of your life. God gifted us a fixed span of life. We must understand how to utilize our time effectively. Whether rich or poor, all are blessed with time. Hence, we must utilize our time intelligently. If you lose your money, you can earn but you cannot get back your lost time. Jim Rohn once remarked, "Time is our most valuable asset, yet we tend to waste it, kill it, and spend it rather than invest it." To summarize, we must understand the value of time to understand value of our life. Remember, time management is life management. Hence, invest your time wisely to provide meaning to your life.


“Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.” ― William Penn




If you like this article, Like and share Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-MSRao/451516514937414




Life is great!

Professor M.S.Rao, India
Founder of MSR Leadership Consultants India
Recipient of 10th International Prestigious Sardar Patel Award―2015




Thanks for reading!

Kindly share your thoughts and comments below, I’m sure someone out there will find your story useful.



Copyright©2016 MSR Leadership Consultants India. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.


This is a nonprofit blog to share Professor M.S.Rao’s passion and vision to build one million students as global leaders by 2030. Please don't cut articles from my blog and redistribute by email or post to the web. The use of this material is free provided copyright is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the Blog http://professormsraovision2030.blogspot.in.  This material may not be sold, or published in any form, or used in the provision of business services to a third party without permission.

1 comment: